Wednesday, January 25, 2012

(excerpts from samuel beckett's

short fiction.)



(from Fizzle 2)


Horn always came at night.  I received him in the dark.  I had come to bear everything bar being seen.  In the beginning I would send him away after five or six minutes.  Till he learnt to go of his own accord, once his time was up.  He consulted his notes by the light of an electric torch.  Then he switched it off and spoke in the dark.  Light silence, dark speech.  It was five or six years since anyone had seen me, to begin with myself.  I mean the face I had pored over so, all down the years.  Now I would resume that inspection, that it may be a lesson to me, in my mirrors and looking-glasses so long put away.  I'll let myself be seen before I'm done.  I'll call out, if there is a knock, "come in!"  But I speak now of five or six years ago.  These allusions to now, to before and after, and all such yet to come, that we may feel ourselves in time.  I had more trouble with the body proper.  I masked it as best I could, but when I got out of bed it was sure to show.  For I was now beginning, then if you prefer, to get out of bed again.  Then there is the matter of its injuries.  But the body was of less consequence.  Whereas the face, no, not at any price.  Hence horn at night.  When he forgot his torch he made shift with matches.  Were I to ask, for example, And her gown that day?, then he switched on, thumbed through his notes, found the particular, switched off and answered, for example, The yellow.  He did not like one to interrupt him and I must confess I seldom had call to.  Interrupting him one night I asked him to light his face.  He did so, briefly, switched off and resumed the thread.  Interrupting again I asked him to be silent for a moment.  That night things went no further.  But the next, or more likely the next but one, I desired him at the outset to light his face and keep it lit till further notice.  The light, bright at first, gradually died down to no more than a yellow glimmer which then, to my surprise, persisted undiminished some little while.  Then suddenly it was dark again and Horn went away, the five or six minutes having presumably expired.....  


......................................................................



(from The End)


In the street I was lost.  I had not set foot in this part of the city for a long time and it seemed greatly changed.  Whole buildings had disappeared, the palings had changed position, and on all sides I saw, in great letters, the names of tradesmen I had never seen before and would have been at a loss to pronounce.  There were streets where I remembered none, some I did remember had vanished and others had completely changed their names.  The general impression was the same as before.  It is true I did not know the city very well.  Perhaps it was quite a different one.  I did not know where I was supposed to be going.  I had the great good fortune, more than once, not to be run over.  My appearance still made people laugh, with that hearty jovial laugh so good for the health.  By keeping the red part of the sky as much as possible on my right hand I came at last to the river.  Here all seemed at first sight more or less as I had left it.  But if I had looked more closely I would doubtless have discovered many changes.  And indeed I subsequently did so.  But the general appearance of the river, flowing between its quays and under its bridges, had not changed.  Yes, the river still gave the impression it was flowing in the wrong direction.  That's all a pack of lies I feel.  My bench was still there.  It was shaped to fit the curves of the seated body.  It stood beside a watering trough, a gift of Mrs. Maxwell to the city horses, according to the inscription.  During the short time I rested there several horses took advantage of this monument.  The iron shoes approached and the jingle of the harness.  Then silence.  That was the horse looking at me.  Then the noise of pebbles and mud that horses make when drinking.  Then the silence again.  That was the horse looking at me again.  Then the pebbles again.  Then the silence again.  Till the horse had finished drinking or the driver deemed it had drunk its fill.....


................................................................



(from One Evening)


He was found lying on the ground.  No one had missed him.  No one was looking for him.  An old woman found him.  To put it vaguely.  It happened so long ago.  She was straying in search of wild flowers.  Yellow only.  With no eyes but for these she stumbled on him lying there.  He lay face downward and arms outspread.  He wore a greatcoat in spite of the time of year.  Hidden by the body a long row of buttons fastened it all the way down.  Buttons of all shapes and sizes.  Worn upright the skirts swept the ground.  That seems to hang together.  Near the head a hat lay askew on the ground.  At once on its brim and crown.  He lay inconspicuous in the greenish coat.  To catch an eye searching from afar there was only the white head.  May she have seen him somewhere before?  Somewhere on his feet before?  Not too fast.  She was all in black.  The hem of her long black skirt trailed in the grass.  It was close of day.  Should she now move away into the east her shadow would go before.  A long black shadow.  It was lambing time.  But there were no lambs.  She could see none.  Were a third party to chance that way theirs were the only bodies he would see.  First that of the old woman standing.  Then on drawing near it lying on the ground.  That seems to hang together.  The deserted fields.  The old woman all in black stockstill.  The body stockstill on the ground.  Yellow at the end of the black arm.  The white hair in the grass.  The east foundering in night.  Not too fast.  The weather.  Sky overcast all day till evening.  In the west-north-west near the verge already the sun came out at last.  Rain?  A few drops if you will.  A few drops in the morning if you will.  In the present to conclude.  It happened so long ago.  Cooped indoors all day she comes out with the sun.  She makes haste to gain the fields.  Surprised to have seen no one on the way she strays feverishly in search of the wild flowers.  Feverishly seeing the immanence of night.  She remarks with surprise the absence of lambs in great numbers here at this time of year.  She is wearing the black she took on when widowed young.  It is to reflower the grave she strays in search of the flowers he had loved.  But for the need of yellow at the end of the black arm there would be none.  There are therefore only as few as possible.  This is for her the third surprise since she came out.  For they grow in plenty here at this time of year.  Her old friend her shadow irks her.  So much so that she turns to face the sun.  Any flower wide of her course she reaches sidelong.  She craves for sundown to end and to stray freely again in the long afterglow.  Further to her distress the familiar rustle of her long black skirt in the grass.  She moves with half-closed eyes as if drawn into the glare.  She may say to herself it is too much strangeness for a single March or April evening.  No one abroad.  Not a single lamb.  Scarcely a flower.  Shadow and rustle irksome.  And to crown all the shock of her foot against a body.  Chance.  No one had missed him.  No one was looking for him.  Black and green of the garments touching now.  Near the white head the yellow of the few plucked flowers.  The old sunlit face.  Tableau vivant if you will.  In its way.  All is silent from now on.  For as long as she cannot move.  The sun disappears at last and with it all shadow.  All shadow here.  Slow fade of afterglow.  Night without moon or stars.  All that seems to hang together. . .


...........................................................................