Monday, February 25, 2013

slipstream

uneven?
memories.
whoa- you're gonna have to explain that one, calv.
ok- "more of me"- you see what I mean now?
but I thought you were referring to memories of the future.
I was.
in the same way that you sometimes predict what might possibly occur in the past?
gotcha.
gave ya.
became ya.
followed ya on twitter.
on pinterest.
what strange little icons these graphic designers come up with these days!
like a river stone becoming polished over the course of several millenia, until it's a mere grain of sand, and then, one day, out of the blue, simply nothing.
but what about that old adage about matter not ever being created or destroyed-
huh- that's a new one to me.
yeah- similar to the ones about essence and energy.
if you say so.
I say so.
in the same way that...
uneven.
unever?
in evening.
uneventful?
not really.
eventful?
well... only in a manner of speaking.
what was that you said the other night about language never being created or destroyed?
I have no idea, keng.
can you take a peek back over the transcript?
don't have it with me at present.
ya can't just check your handy little electronic device?
don't have it with me at present.
ya mean to say that you haven't had it surgically embedded into the palm of your hand yet?
not really.
but symbolically?
not, not even symbolically, calv.
are you disappointed?
wait wait wait- which of us is speaking right now?
I thought it was your turn-
reappearing?  is mistinal still on the line?
no- she had an appointment with nathalie.
weird.  I thought she was going to india with her cousin later this morning.
no- the cousin backed out.
so she's going alone?
she is.
oh, I get it- in a manner of speaking.
no- in real life.  lol.
what do you mean by embodied?
similar to inbodied, inboxed, outsourced, reversed, and embedded-
ya mean like the river stone you were talking about a minute ago?
precisely.
precisely?
precisely.
precisely.
and what are the italics meant to indicate this time?
emphasis.
emphasis?
emphasis.
sorta like "in particular phases"?
exactly.
maybe even a little "unnecessary?
sorta like memories?
of what?
something along the lines of infinite hunger.
like that book by david foster wallace?
no- maybe more like oblivion.
that one was better received?
by the critics or readers?
depends on the media outlet.
or the inlet, for that matter.
oh yeah, there's always that.
or the islands.
the isthmuses.
the peninsulas.
the archipelagos.
what was that you said about the earth never being technically created or destroyed-
or was it properly created or destroyed?
both and neither.
you little jester!
hey- I'm just taking my cues from the master!
you mean wallace?
no.
beckett?
no.
rumi?
no.
rilke?
no.
kafka?
no.
shakespeare?
no.
plato?
no.
garrison keilor?
no.
barthelme?
no.
salinger?
no.
miller?
which one?
the whole crowd of them!
no.
ok then- I give up!  which master?
uneventful.  unnecessary.
no- really?
only in a manner of speaking.
and then the next thing you're gonna tell me is that it's a just a subtle matter of emphasis.
like with italics, you mean.
that's precisely what I mean, keng.
and with discretion, of course.
well then, I guess then we finally understand each other at last.
maybe so.
you mean derrida?
wait wait wait- which one of us did you say was speaking just now?
I think it was mistinal's turn.
she's already en route to india, keng.
oh, fabulous.  that's just perfect.
so now you're being a little sarcastic, right?
maybe so.
whoa- you're gonna have to explain that one, sir.
ok- "less of me"- you see what I mean now?
but I thought you were referring to ancient memories of the imminent future.
I was.
in the same way that you sometimes predict what might possibly occur in the past?
gotcha.
gave ya.
became ya.
followed ya on twitter.
on spotify.
like a river stone becoming polished over the course of one or two seconds, until it's a mere bead of water, and then, one day, out of the blue, absolute nothingness.
you use that word a little too casually, keng.
you're right.  forgive me.
forgiven.
forsaken?
for no one.
that's too insular, keng.
but it's winter!  it's freezing!
liberating?
a little.
depends on how well you're dressed.
look, calv- a person learns about these things in wisconsin!
and what about in india?
a person learns different things there.
is that why mistinal's going there?
not sure.  I think maybe she just wants to see friends and family.
friends and family aren't here?
no, they're scattered all over the world.
oh, I see- one of those types.
I'm afraid so.
wants to reconnect with her childhood memories.
perhaps.
in a manner of...
speaking?
no-  dreaming.
huh- I like the new emphasis.
until you grow infinitely weary of it, that is-
hard to say, keng.
maybe so.
maybe you're right.
maybe not.
hard to say.
hard to gaze back over the vast terrain of water already in motion.